Being involved in a car crash can be nerve-wracking, to say the least. If you've had significant injuries and damage to your vehicle, you're sure to encounter significant financial losses. Taking legal action against the other driver may be your only method of getting compensation for your loss. However, you should keep in mind that you may need to complete a deposition during the fact-finding stage of your case. Knowing effective tips for having success when doing so may be helpful to you at this time.
Tip #1: Be honest
You will need to provide accurate answers to your opposing party's attorney during this meeting. This can help strengthen your case and listed below are other reasons for doing so:
1. You will be sworn in under oath before you begin responding to any questions.
2. There will be a court reporter present transcribing the entire meeting.
3. A copy of the transcript will be delivered to the court that filed your case.
Tip #2: Answer briefly
When you're asked certain questions that don't require a long and detailed response directly answer with a yes or no. This will avoid having to go into great detail about things that could be misinterpreted by the other attorney.
It's important to keep in mind the legal counsel that is questioning you works for your opponent, not you.
Tip #3: Meet with your lawyer
Taking the time to meet with your attorney can be extremely beneficial to you before attending a deposition. Doing so will allow you to learn a great deal about this meeting and below are some questions you should ask your lawyer:
1. How long will this meeting typically last?
2. Is it possible to avoid answering any of the questions that are asked of you at this time?
3. How many people will be in attendance?
4. Is the deposition videotaped or recorded?
5. Can a family member or friend attend for support?
6. Is the deposition crucial when it comes to building a strong case?
The more detailed your inquiries to your attorney, the more confidence you may have during your deposition.
Enduring the emotional, physical and financial challenges of a car accident can be stressful. It's ideal to work towards having success at this legal meeting. Be sure to rely on the legal advice and guidance of your car accident lawyer when completing a deposition for your case today.Share
11 February 2016